It is well known that mentoring activities are critical for successful promotions in the professoriate. Such activities are especially needed for communities for which the numbers at a given institution are very small. The goal of the workshop is to mentor assistant- and associate-level faculty, senior doctoral students, and postdocs in computing about academic careers. The workshop targets participants from the following communities: African Americans/Blacks, Native Americans/Indigenous, Hispanics/Latinx, and People with Disabilities.
The workshop includes panels of diverse senior faculty discussing the following topics:
- Tenure and promotion process
- Launching a research program
- Effective teaching strategies
- Promotion to full professor
- Effective strategies for proposal writing
- Affinity Research Group Model for effect research teams
The workshop also includes a panel of representatives from different funding agencies and mock proposal review sessions, whereby participants have an opportunity to review actual proposals. The mock review sessions provide significant insights into proposal writing.
The workshops are funded by the NSF grant, CNS 1832169.
The 2021 Academic Careers Workshop is a virtual workshop, consisting of 2-3 hours session each day during the time period of June 13 through 19.
Submit an application by the March 31, 2021 deadline.
Contact: Mikeva Nauden
ACW Workshop Organizing Committee
- Valerie Taylor (University of Chicago)
- Illya Hicks (Rice University)
- Richard Ladner (University of Washington)
- Ann Gates (University of Texas at El Paso)
- Timothy Pinkston (University of Southern California)
- Daniel Garcia (University of California, Berkeley)
- Jeanine Cook (Sandia National Laboratory)
- 2019 Workshop, 16-19 May 2019 at the IAH Marriott Hotel in Houston, Texas
- 2017 Workshop, 6-9 April 2017 at the IAH Marriott Hotel in Houston, Texas
- 2016 Workshop, 7-10 April 2016 at Hotel Sorella at CityCentre in Houston, Texas
- 2015 Workshop, 30 April-3 May 2015 at Mays Business School’s- CityCentre Campus
- 2014 Workshop, 27-30 March 2014 at the The Allen Center at Northwestern University
- 2013 Workshop, 11-14 April 2013 at the The Allen Center at Northwestern University
- 2012 Workshop, 15-18 March 2012 at the Georgia Tech Global Learning Center
- 2011 Workshop, 24-27 February 2011, in Los Angeles, CA at USC
- 2010 Workshop, 5-7 March 2010 in Houston, TX.
- 2009 Workshop, April 2009 held in conjunction with the Richard Tapia Celebration in Computing Conference